Thursday, January 27, 2011

Retirement sucks!!!

Well I made the very difficult decision to retire Evy from trialling this week. Still tough to think about but she is 7.5yrs old and has some mild lameness from time to time. Last weekend while working her she pulled up lame on the left rear, I still don't know what caused it. Vet thinks it is a tendon that may have pulled off but nothing was visible on the Xrays of her hips, back and leg. The chiro doesn't know either and deems her sound and ready to work. I hate to do it but we all have to do things we don't like! I had to pull her National entries and shred her local entries last night, very frustrating.
Evy is laying at my feet now sleeping. I just love all the things she taught me through the years, and the devotion that she gave. I only regret that I didn't feel enough urgency to trial her while she was younger! She is quite the dog and while she wil continue to work here at the farm; her trialling days are just over thats all.

5 comments:

  1. We're sorry to hear about Evy. Glad she gets to continue doing what she loves to do at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. retirement is never easy- but glad to hear that she will still get to help with chores at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am sorry. Good for you to make the decision though - hard as it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow--What a very difficult and selfless decision. I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand what you are feeling. I retired Wilson (at just turned 7) from agility due to come/go lameness in his left shoulder. He didn't LOVE agility, but I can tell he misses it when I let him run the occasional course.

    His chiro-vet said to "knock it off" if I wanted him walking as an old guy. Hard not to respect that!

    ReplyDelete