Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Singles...

No its not a dating scene:=) I first worked Abby yesterday and had one rotten sheep who apparently wanted to get worked extra hard since she kept coming back after being shed off. SOOOO I took her out by herself and worked her all over the property which she didn't really appreciate. She is a heavy ewe that will walk by my side all day but does not want to be driven away from her friends. So Abby had already had enough by the time I took the ewe out of the front field. Beli actually came out and helped. Always makes my heart smile to see him come out and bust out a fantastic job when I'm struggling teaching that same thing to one of the girls.
I really wish that I had a video of him yesterday though, he did a great job walked right into this ewe facing him off. Backed her down the drive and toward the barn. Yeah Beli my heart is still beaming for him:-))
Worked Sally next, on the same ewe as a single. Left her up by the gate with her buddies and sent Sally for an outrun around the chicken house and veg garden. She had to use lots of power and balance to get the ewe off the gate and bring her in a line to me. It was fast but the ewe WAS NOT getting back to the gate! Then the ewe decided to turn and face her, well after all the fights with the two recent ewes/lambs she did not want to walk into pressure. So we worked on getting a straight line into the ewe facing her. She did pretty well and I think learned quite a bit from the excersise. I probably should have quit a couple of times but kept pushing for more...
Finally after I took a mental break I worked Rosy on the same single. Let her work the barn stall first then took her out in the large rear field. Put her out and worked her alone in the big field a bit then shed the sheep off the goats and worked all of the sheep up to the roundpen field and penned them all up top.
So we got some work. I'm not overly happy with the work we got but its just been one of those weeks!

1 comment: