Monday, February 14, 2011

What next??

So this has not been a good dog work week. If anyone ever tells you that having your own stock is the way to train your dogs, RUN!!! Most of my time through the year is spent feeding, worming, doctoring the sick and moving stock; NOT working my dogs.
This week we had some sick goats and the two non sociable ewes with lambs are in that pasture now. So I took two dogs, Abby and Evy. All I have to do (I say that VERY loosely) is to bring the goats into the corner to catch and doctor the sick ones and check everyone else's eyes for anemia. So I send the girls out thinking this is going to take a bit to fight the two ewes up to the corner. One of the ewes made the mistake of going after Evy... She wears the marks of her mistakes, Evy did not give her one instant of relief. The other ewe followed in with no thought about changing direction.
So now I have all the goats and sheep in the corner, I catch the two not acting correctly. One needs wormed the other AB's. I then go back to the storage room in the barn and hear a ruckus. The ewes have again decided to charge the girls and Evy/Abby and the ewe went flying by. The girls brought her back promtly and all is good again. I doctor and worm the two sick and check for more.
So while the job is not constant it throws a wrench in working plans. This was the nightly chore for three nights. So its not that there are no dogs getting worked but only certain dogs can deal with the ewes/lambs so those are the ones that get worked. Everything seems in order so if I can get my back in order I'll be able to get back to work.
Thursday I get to go work on a trial field. Abby and Sally haven't seen one since early last year and Rosy won't be going this week since she is going to the puffy dog show but maybe next week...

3 comments:

  1. I'm guessing Rosy would rather be a working dog than a puffy dog! Good luck getting your back in working order, Tigger sends sloppy kisses and Bolt sends sloppier ones to help you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank guys! I think Rosy is torn:-)) She wants the best of both worlds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting! They sound like great help.

    ReplyDelete