Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Polish...

I got to work Abby, Sally and Patsy today; though only Abby is trialling this weekend. Sally did the set up work, Patsy did lesson work and Abby was polishing...
Sally put the lambs out, split the pregger ewes off and took the working sheep out. The school ewes don't usually go out to the neighbors but I wanted more draw in a different direction. I also needed to take out a couple of ram lambs who are getting too big for their britches. So two lambs and the ram and one ewe were our working group. Sally was kind enough the take them out and put the goats in the paddock so Abby could work.
I set some sheep out with grain at the bottom of the goat pasture and sent Abby from the roundpen field with the gates opened up. She did a beautiful "come" outrun, the lift could have been more slow, fetch was nice, drive was pretty good and she did a nice split on the 4 we had. I drove those 2 around the triangle and then shed them too. All pretty good work. Then I sent her on a "way" outrun was bad... So we did quite a few more after allowing her to rest for a couple minutes. We finally quit on a good one or two. I hope the "come" outrun holds out for her B course runs in a couple weeks.
Patsy got to put the sheep up for our lesson and then help our student figure some things out. She did a nice job in the roundpen, taking pressure off and coming in when asked. I even got a tiny drive from her. All in all she did a nice job; we even got a great lesson in patience for her.
Abby got to do the evening chores so got some more opportunities for training. First I had her drive the ram/ewe back down the goat pasture and out the gate towards their pasture up front. She did an ok job since she had to drive them past/through the goats. Got them settled somewhere outside the gate and I brought her back up to take the ram lambs down through the goat pasture which set up a great fenceline drive to emulate the pen to 4 drive. She wanted to be pushy and squeezed them a couple times but managed to bring them back nice. Then we had a chat and she went off nicely and drove them really well. We made a turn across and then I came in and set up a shed. The first one was nicely set up except that one ram was standing her off and she had enough. She blew up on him and had to put them back together... Next one was a beautiful set up and then I got a phone call I couldn't ignore...

So really some good polishing work for Abby; regardless of what happens at the trial this weekend her work here at home has been pretty nice overall.

4 comments:

  1. Love those opportunities to teach patience!

    I really appreciate reading about the work you do. It makes me think of things I need to set up - so Thank You for journaling!

    I didn't realize Abby was doing B course Sheep at the trial. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the title "Polish" and though it was about chickens! Good job girls, and good luck at the upcoming trials. Bolt and Dory hope Mom does great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the title Polish and thought it was about nail polish--Weird

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so many different thoughts:-)) No I've not painted the dogs toes yet, Diane:-))) Yes I do need to get the Polish pics on the other blog, Jill; will work on that tomorrow.
    Thanks Susan, yeah I'm a bit nervous about the outrun on B we'll see what happens; that is her better side so maybe it will work out ok.

    ReplyDelete